Fall Classes

Beginner to Intermediate Letterpress

Letterpress printing is an entirely hands-on process that uses moveable metal and wood type to transfer images and words to paper. The words and images are inked and stamped into paper using vintage, cast-iron machines. These impressions give the images a unique 3D like feel. Intermediate students are welcome to bring in their own projects to work on under the guidance of the instructor.

Time Dates Register
1:30-4pm 4 Tuesdays, Sept 19-Oct 10 online registration

Cost: $175 includes all materials. Once certified, students may use the studio for their own projects during open studio sessions.

Instructor: Chad Pastotnik of Deep Wood Press

Relief Printmaking  

Linoleum blocks, wood cuts and wood engravings form the foundation of relief printmaking but with the equipment at Blackbird, multi- color work and editions become a reality worth exploring. The class will focus on linoleum blocks and their preparation for use on a Vandercook SP15 letterpress. Multiple blocks or reduction process will be used to create two or more color works and you will be taught how to painlessly register them to each other on the press for edition work. Discussion and demonstration of inks and how to modify them will also be integral to the class.

*Please note: On the first day of class be sure to bring a few images or drawings that would translate well to positive and negative space carvings (like a rubber stamp) as there are no tonal variations in relief printing. Tonal qualities are made by line density, crosshatching and other techniques but since our goal is multi color prints - overlapping colors and ink modification can create other colors or tone differences.

Cost: $150.00 + $20 materials fee (Tools are provided but a material charge for linoleum blocks and good quality paper in enough quantity to do a small edition is $20.00)

Time Dates Register
6-8:30pm 4Tuesdays, Sept 19-Oct 10   online registration

Printmaking Open Studio

Join our growing community of printmakers! Open studio time is available for letterpress and printmaking, for new and returning students to practice what they learn and to hone their skills.  A variety of abilities is welcomed. Open studio fee includes inks, use of tools, equipment, and basic paper. Students bring any specialty papers they wish to use. 

Cost $15/each session; please register online or call (231) 421-8085 as space is limited.

Time Dates Register
4-6pm 4 Tuesdays available, Sept 19-Oct 10 online registration

Open Studio Guidance: Chad Pastotnik of Deep Wood Press

Blackbird Arts   |   1485 Barlow Street Traverse City, MI   |   (231)421-8085    |    Drop us a note at info@blackbirdartstc.com.